Monday, 27 January 2014

West Ham boss won't pursue Ross

West Ham United manager Sam Allardyce has told Brian McDermott that he will not submit another offer for Leeds striker Ross McCormack after the club rejected a £3.5m bid from the Hammers on Friday.


McCormack, 27, has attracted interest from several clubs but when the offer arrived from West Ham at the end of last week, Leeds fans were fearing the worst. The forward has been in prolific form this season  netting 17 times, making him the Championship's top scorer.
Leeds United captain Ross McCormack.
                                                                    Picture from http://www.leedsunited.com

Speaking on Leeds United's official website, manager Brian McDermott said:
“The bid for Ross was rejected on Friday and I've have spoken to Sam Allardyce since and he has said that they won’t be coming back in for him,” He added:
“I am confident that he will be here after the window closes on Friday. Ross has never asked to leave. He is my captain and he is a talisman for our team."

The news from the Leeds boss that Sam Allardyce won't reattempt to sign United's captain will be well received at Elland Road as the club are still tangled in a mess of takeover talk.

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce won't chase McCormack.
                                                                          Picture from http://www.bbc.co.uk
West Ham on the other hand seem to have money to spend in their battle to avoid relegation from the Premier League, acquiring the services of striker Marco Borriello from Roma and AC Milan midfielder Antonio Nocerino on loan respectively this week.

The Hammers have struggled to score goals so far in the campaign and it's an area they'll have to rectify if they want to stay up. With strikers Modibo Maïga and Carlton Cole managing just five goals between them this season, Allardyce will have been happy to see the club's record signing Andy Carroll return from injury against Cardiff, even if they can't land McCormack.


Friday, 10 January 2014

Jimmy Kébé joins Leeds

Leeds have completed their second signing in two days after securing Crystal Palace's Jimmy Kébé until the end of the season on loan. 


The Mali international will be linking up with former manager Brian McDermott, the pair previously reached a play-off final and won promotion to the Premier League the following season in 2012. Regular first team football will have been the deciding factor in the 29-year-old's Championship switch to Elland Road. Kébé has grazed the pitch just six times this season despite arriving at Selhurst Park for an undisclosed fee in August but will be shown no such treatment at Elland Road and the pacey winger is likely to be thrown in the mix at Hillsborough, in what will be another fiery Yorkshire derby this weekend with Sheffield Wednesday.
Brian McDermott with his new signing Jimmy Kébé.
                                                                            Picture from http://www.leedsunited.com

“I haven’t come here for a holiday,” said United’s new arrival on the club's official website. “My target here is to play in the Play-Offs, minimum."

Kébé's desire looks to be genuine and that hunger to succeed is exactly what McDermott was looking for when identifying his targets to strengthen his squad - a drive to push forward. With his side currently eighth in the league, the Leeds boss is likely to blood in both of his new wingers - Kébé and yesterday's signing
Cameron Stewart - when Leeds travel to South Yorkshire on Saturday.

Leeds chairman Salah Nooruddin commented on his club's new recruit, telling Sky Sports: "Jimmy Kébé is a player well known to Brian and we're delighted to have agreed a deal both with the player and Crystal Palace."

Thursday, 9 January 2014

Leeds sign Cameron Stewart and chase Jimmy Kébé

Following a rocky period over Christmas which saw United draw two and lose two in the league, an exciting opening week of the transfer window is just what was needed.


Leeds rounded off 2013 with a string of tired performances. If fans found two disappointing draws and a loss away at Nottingham hard to swallow, then the 2-0 defeat at Rochdale in the FA Cup will have been heartbreaking. United put on a very poor show at Spotland and the League Two side had no problem dismantling their lacklustre visitors.

Manager Brian McDermott after the defeat at Rochdale.
                                                             Picture from http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk
McDermott's men were made to stay on the pitch and face the wrath of the 3'400 travelling away fans as they voiced their fury. “That’s probably the worst moment I've had in football, or right up there,” said the Leeds boss in a press conference after the match. “I lost a play-off final and it didn't feel like that, right at the end when we went to our supporters. The reaction we got I expected. I knew it was coming and we hold our hands up. It’s going to be a driver for me in the next few weeks. I’ll use it as a complete and utter driver. What can I say apart from apologise for that performance? There’s no-one here who wants to get it right more than me.”
New signing Cameron Stewart.
                                                                 Picture from http://www.leedsunited.com

Strong words from United's manager regarding pushing forward have since been backed up by a speculation-packed opening week of the transfer window. McDermott completed his first acquisition yesterday, in what looks to be a statement of intent, as Leeds confirmed the signing of Hull City's Cameron Stewart. The 22-year-old winger was on loan at Charlton for the first half of the season in the Championship but Leeds fought off competition from the south to secure the youngster's signature on a three-year-deal. Stewart has initially joined on a three month loan, due to FA rules that state a player may not play for three English clubs in a single season (a rule that excludes emergency loan signings) and so the player will officially belong to Leeds in the summer, but can play on loan at Elland Road for the remainder of the campaign.

Leeds' first winter signing addresses an area of the squad that has been weak ever since the club sold promising Ivorian Max Gradel to Ligue 1 side AS Saint-Étienne for £3m in August 2011. The Whites saw talented Scot Robert Snodgrass snatched from Elland Road by Norwich the following year and the two wingers were never adequately replaced. The lack of wide players at Elland Road has been noted by many this season, with McDermott having to switch to a 3-5-2 formation to cope with the void in the squad. To his credit the United manager has made it work and Leeds still sit in eighth place in the league, despite a run of poor form since Christmas.

Cameron Stewart seems to be only the first of a handful of signings that will be sanctioned by Leeds as the takeover looms. Crystal Palace winger Jimmy Kébé - a former Reading player brought in and managed by McDermott - is United's next target. The Mali international, 29, has had limited opportunities so far this season after leaving the Madejski following McDermott's dismissal. Palace chairman Steve Parish was coy over the player's future, telling the Yorkshire Evening Post: “Leeds are interested – all the clubs at the top of the Championship are interested." But Crystal Palace manager Tony Pulis said in a press conference on Thursday morning: "Kébé is on his way to Leeds as we talk," and the news will no doubt be music to fans' ears in West Yorkshire.
Crystal Palace winger Jimmy Kébé.
                                                                            Picture from http://www.skysports.com

The former Reading winger's lightning pace is his most noted attribute, regularly giving defenders a nightmare day at the office during his time at the Madejski stadium. This morning it was also revealed that Leeds are involved in the race to sign Brighton striker Ashley Barnes. The 24-year-old Albion forward is out of contract in the summer and despite six goals in 24 appearances thus far in the campaign, Brighton are willing to let him go. Burnley appear to be the strongest competition for Leeds in the battle for Barnes' signature but according to Sky Sports the player may have already completed a medical at Turf Moor.

This latest haul of approaches made by United looks to spell out a new era at Elland Road: Leeds United are no longer a selling club. The faith United's board are showing in their manager is a refreshing change, specially when backed up by a much needed cash injection.